Monday, January 29, 2007

Carbon Monoxide -- Good or Bad?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, toxic gas, and we should have a carbon monoxide detector next to our smoke detector to warn us when our lives are in danger. Carbon monoxide is poison, and we should avoid it.

But wait. What about carbon monoxide with MS?

Researchers in Portugal
have found that administering carbon monoxide has a postive effect on MS -- in mice. It's not really carbon monoxide, but a protein, and the research has been limited to mice, but the researchers think administering carbon monoxide to MSers might be a useful therapy.

Of course, more research is required, and then clinical trials must be made. For now, file this with bee sting therapy and parasitic infections. Oh, and don't throw away your carbon monoxide detector.

technorati tags: , , , , ,

No comments: