Friday, December 01, 2006

Wheelchair Performance Art

There was a time I was a dancer. Not a professional and not an award winner, but a dancer. I liked the way it felt to partner with someone to music. I liked the kicks and turns and plies of performance art. But I lost my balance, an important element in the art of dance, then I lost my ambulation. My shoulders and hands (or at least one hand) could keep a beat, but I lost my dancing.

But wait. The Dancing Queen shows us that it can be done, complete with pictures. She talks about her frustration that she cannot do it like "that other girl," but then she can do it, and she can make the dance her own. Dance is, after all, more than foot patterns and gyrations.

Performance art, just like other aspects of life, can be adapted. Pick a piece and make it your own.

technorati tags: , , , ,


No comments: