Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Is MS Caused by Epstein Barr?

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) has long been suspected as a possible cause for MS. Dr. John W. Lindsey at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston focuses his research on MS. In a study with one particular genotype of EBV, no relationship was found. To read the abstract, scroll down on the page.

Well, that's one down. I don't know how many more genotypes they have to eliminate before they find a relationship -- if there is a relationship to be found. Keep looking!


Technorati technorati tags: , , , , ,

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I heard about this in an Columbus Dispatch article a few years back when there cases of epstein barr that were being discussed around the community.

Vicki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicki said...

There are so many strains of EBV, and apparently almost everyone (estimates of 95% of world population) has some form or another during their lives. I guess it makes sense that all the strains cannot be the cause of MS -- or almost everyone would have that, too.

I had mono as a young adult, so when I first heard of a possible relationship between MS and EBV, I started paying attention. I think this is the first research I found where one strain was eliminated as the MS culprit. There may be more.

At least this shows progress.