Sunday, February 05, 2006

Getting Mail

Having MS is not such a bad thing some days. However, there are definitely disadvantages to life in a chair. I can't walk, which is an excellent exercise, and I can't dance, which is lots of fun, and I can't reach my mailbox, which is pretty inconvenient.

I can't remember the last time I didn't get mail. I get bills, just like everybody else, I get birthday cards at least once a year, I get junk mail, again, just like everybody else, and I get catalogs -- lots of catalogs. My regular letter-carrier Barbara is efficient and reliable when she brings my daily mail. I depend on her and appreciate her. She works hard so she deserves her vacation and a day off each week. But here's the problem.

The neighborhood mailboxes are at the curb. I cannot reach the curbside mailbox. However, there are advantages to life in a chair. As a disabled person, I have been approved for door delivery. Often, the substitute carrier does not bring my mail to the door.

We put a sign in the mailbox aas a reminder. Red letters on a bright yellow background say "Please deliver mail to the door. Thank you." Maybe they don't see the sign.

I think it's pretty visible.
And here's what it looks like after mail delivery. Still visible.
Another view.

If the substitute walks up to the door, the
mailbox is easy to find and fill with mail.

It is also easy to see from my side of the door.

I open the door, get the mail, pay the bills online, read the birthday card and smile (at least once a year), recycle the junk mail, and relax with a catalog. Then I page through another catalog. Then I stack the rest of the catalogs for later.

I miss the mail ritual when the substitute letter carrier does not pay attention to my sign

No comments: