Sunday, July 27, 2008

Why are disabled people so mean?

Certain people have a way of saying things that shake us at the core. Even when the words do not seem harsh or offensive, the impact is shattering. What we could be experiencing is the intent behind the words. When we intend to do good, we do. When we intend to do harm, it happens. What each of us must come to realize is that our intent always comes through. . . .. What we owe to ourselves and everyone around is to examine the reasons of our true intent. ~ Thurgood Marshall quotes (American Jurist and Lawyer. 1908-1993)

I was browsing through questions on Yahoo! Answers as I sometimes do. There are many fun things there. I was particularly drawn to one question: "Why are some disabled people so mean?" It piqued my attention because I am disabled, and I don't think I am mean. The asker explains that he tried to help a disabled woman by opening the door and was greeted with a dirty look, like maybe he was going to rob her, and certainly with no thanks. He said that had happened before, so he was not going to help any more disabled people.

Technorati technorati tags: , ,


No comments: