Thursday, August 10, 2006

I am lucky with my MS

When I think about it, I know I am lucky.

DIAGNOSIS
After the years of trying to find out what was wrong, I almost welcomed the diagnosis. It had a name. There are worse possibilities -- I have MS.

SYMPTOMS
I have secondary progressive, so I don’t remit. But my progression is very slow. V-e-r-y slow. Very lucky.

CHILDREN
The luckiest part has to do with my children. By the time I knew what my problem was, my boys were teenagers in high school, old enough to understand, old enough to help with things. In my Newly Diagnosed group, I met a young mother with very young children. She had family in town as well as a helping husband, but I remember wondering how she did it.

Every time I meet or read about an MSer mother, again I wonder, how does she do it? Raising children is not ever easy, but with MS I don’t know how they do it.

Amanda is 26 and has 4 children! Her blog My Complications rants about daily life. She links to a Progressive MS bulletin board she helps manage on her sidebar along with a link to her recommendation of an online support group.

And let’s not forget that men get MS, too. WhiteLightning is the blog of a young father, who writes in a fun story-telling style.

My admiration goes out to you.

technorati tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: