Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MS and Wheelchair Exercising

Movement is a medicine for creating change in
a person's physical, emotional, and mental states.
~ Carol Welch

My online friend Merely Me asked me how I exercise from a wheelchair. I thought about it for awhile, then wrote a response. She added it to responses from two upright MSers here. I can talk only about exercise from a chair.

Being in a chair full time means there is limited movement. What does movement have to do with MS? The National MS Society (NMSS) reminds us that MS steals movement from us all. I have secondary progressive MS, and as a result I have been progressively losing my ability to move. How can I slow that loss?

Here is what NMSS has to say about exercise. A wheelchair adds another factor, but for some it seems hardly a handicap.


Be sure to check
Merely Me's article -- MS Community and Exercising -- where she talks about more than wheelchair exercising.


Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Synchronicity said...

You wrote such an excellent response! I want to thank you again for your contribution. You are a very skilled writer Vicki.