Thursday, November 09, 2006

Still Working with MS?

Chronic illnesses, including MS, often cause people to quit the job market prematurely. Rehabilitation was often focused on re-entering the work force. However, the recent focus is more often aimed at job retention.

Here is a study about the trend of intervention to train people to request accommodations or improve psychosocial skills, determining which methods produce the most positive results.

There is evidence that training to request accommodations and to build self-confidence in dealing with work-related problems is effective. Evidence was weak because of the short follow-up, but the conclusion was that more rigorous study is required. The need is for participants, both as patients and as physicians.

When my doctor recommended that I retire, she also cautioned me. I struggled with the decision and I know it was right for me. It is difficult. Be careful.

technorati tags: , , , ,


No comments: